Wednesday, July 29, 2009

PQ

Although I had been told I would get the contract, this morning a nice person from Raytheon called to officially make me the offer, and I accepted.  Official is good. So unless problems arise I will be the Safety Engineer at the Amundsen-Scott Research Station starting next February and continuing into October.

I should say a little about how this happens.  After interviews it is necessary for every candidate to go through some rigorous physical exams.  This is called physical qualification, or PQ.   Because it is often difficult or impossible to evacuate injured or ill people from the pole even in the summer, the health of the people working there is very important.   I completed my PQ tests for a summer season and I am happy to say I passed with flying colors, but for a winter position I will have PQ at a whole new level.  We're talking nuclear imaging and CT scans here!

But I think it will all be worth it.

1 comments:

Fern Emma said...

I have your blog bookmarked --- and will check in frequently to keep up with your progress on this adventure. Continued best wishes as you prepare.

Post a Comment